Let me begin by saying that Zach and I have absolutely no creative genes and we are aware of this {even more so after today}. I had grand intentions of making a gingerbread house with Jackson and Katherine this year. I had planned for us to make it Wednesday morning, so we got the box out as planned and started tearing into it.

Jackson pulled out the instructions, and even though he can't read, I should have taken the look on his face as an omen.
Katherine found the candy.
I started reading the directions and realized I was in a little over my head with Zach being at work. I read words such as mixer, cornstarch, prepping the gingerbread pieces, etc. and knew immediately this project was going to be postponed until the weekend when I had back-up. Jackson had spent most of Wednesday morning in time out and I couldn't bare the thought of having to do all of these things before we even started putting the house together.
Fast forward to today. I thought I read through the directions, so Zach and I started "prepping" the house. Needless to say, I must not have read very well since it stated that once the sides are put together you are to let it dry for an hour. Then you add the roof and let the house dry for an additional 2-3 hours. No way we're doing that. Zach just "glued" it all together with the icing and we decided to let it dry while naps were underway.
Later, Zach started drawing the door and immediately ran into some problems with getting the icing to stick. The directions suggested adding cornstarch so the icing would stick, but that was a disaster.
After that, we'd had enough and let Jackson and Katherine jump on top of the table. It became a free-for-all on who could eat the most icing.
Getting an icing mustache

This is how our house turned out before we chunked it.
I know, pitiful. Maybe next year.

Did you notice the flashlights in almost every picture? They are obsessed.
Maybe next year we'll just stick to playing with flashlights rather than getting creative with icing and cornstarch.






3 comments:
The house is standing - and looks like most of the snow has just melted off :o) Doesn't matter how it looks, it is the memories that are important.
I'm not sure what your talking about. I think you should enter it into a gingerbread house contest...I mean, who wouldn't give a blue ribbon to those two cuties??
I've attempted that once before myself. I almost lost my religion and had a few dirty words flying in all directions.
Post a Comment